Hello, humans. We are delighted to welcome you all to The edge the biggest raise of all time. You’ll notice a lot has changed, and that includes our feedback system!
We are proud to relaunch Edge Comments on the Coral Platform: A powerful tool for building communities and great commenting experiences. If you are a commentator on Polygon Where SB Nation, you’ve already seen Coral in action. We are so grateful to our friends at the Coral team for working with us to create a great feedback system for The edge.
We think about the comments a lot. They played an important role in The edge from day one, and we are grateful to our loyal community, who continue to participate on the site in fun, surprising and insightful ways. We know that Coral will help us with feedback to The edge even better. System tools will help you, Edge and our exceptional team of moderators are improving internet discourse one comment at a time.
Of course, this is only the first day of our relaunch. Our vision for the site, the comment system and our overall community is much bigger than what you see here today. From live events to merch and new surprises, we think a lot about how to bring The edge in the world in new ways. We’ll have a lot more to say about all of this as the site continues to grow and evolve.
Anyway, that’s enough for me. You probably want to know what the new toy does!
Here are some of the new things you can do in new Edge comments right now:
- New comments view. When you click to access an article’s comments, the commenting experience now slides to the side of your screen on desktop or fills the entire window on mobile. (Fancy!) This will allow everyone to focus on the conversations a little more without having to scroll or jump to the bottom of the article. Plus, it just looks neat.
- Featured comments. The moderators and our editorial team at The edge will be much more involved in highlighting and showcasing the best reviews on the site. You’ll start to see that the comments we think are the best of the best — maybe because they’re hilarious, clever, or unique — will become the first comments you see on our Stories.
- Integrated. You can now easily drop things like tweets and YouTube videos into posts. And we’re kicking off with access to a GIF library from the comments editor.
- Sorting. Phew. You can now sort comments by newest, oldest, most recommended, or most active.
- Mute. If you’re tired of another user and don’t want to see their comments, you can mute it. Simply click their username on any comment and select the “Ignore” button.
- Better reporting. Coral comes with enhanced reporting tools that will help you and us identify comments that violate our Community Guidelines.
If you have a comment history with The edge, you will also notice that it is missing. Don’t worry, it’s just temporary; your comments will soon be migrated to the new system. You can now access your comments through the My Profile tab in the comments section of any post.
We’re excited to dive back into the comments and engage with readers. Places like Twitter and Facebook can be awfully loud, and we’re always committed to making conversations on The edge better than internet fever swamps. So we’ve updated our Community Guidelines to reflect how we think of comments: as a fun, interesting, and respectful place.